Skagerrak Software User Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2019, 04:19:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
386 Posts in 127 Topics by 155 Members
Latest Member: Beachfront
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  Skagerrak Software User Forum
|-+  TrafficMate
| |-+  TrafficMate Discussions
| | |-+  Traffic Mate Usage Indicator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Traffic Mate Usage Indicator  (Read 23547 times)

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2009, 01:32:01 am »

Hi Patrick

Just wondering if there has been any progress with guests being able to monitor how much data they have downloaded.  They sometimes get a real shock when they find out how much they owe - and their justifiable arguement is that they had no way of knowing that they had used more than their requested Option 1 allows.  To me this is the only real downfall the system has.  Guests are used to using systems when either the time cuts out when they have used their allocated time or they get a warning that they have clicked over a certain amount of usage.   It would be fantastic to get this sorted out before we get busy.

Richard Warburton
Administrator

Skagerrak Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:37 pm »

TM4 will have a page that tells the user how much time and data they have left.  The page will be http://my.usage/ which they can bookmark when they login and check it as often as they want.

Cheers.

Skagerrak Developer
reinhard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 03:46:26 am »

I've seen in other places that there was a message each time I log in again to give me the information how much I've used already.

I don't think many people will bookmark that myusage page/ Most of our guests have company laptops and are not going to bookmark anything on those. There must be an easy way to monitor the usageor a warning system when they get over a certain limit.

Reinhard from the Harbourside Motor Lodge in sunny Nelson
Richard Warburton
Administrator

Skagerrak Developer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:53:38 am »

I am aware of a competing product that sends the user an email or text message to get around the "not having enough control over the user's computer to alert reliably".  However, with text messaging the motel would have to pay per text (not to mention complications of setting up a text provider), and email may not be checked or received in time.

To really drive the point home, those multi-million dollar ISPs Orcon, Slingshot, etc, don't attempt to commandeer users' computers to alert them that they've been slowed down to dial-up.  They send an email.  So, when some of our customers go over their limit, they just find their internet is slow and give us a call.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to have this facility.  I am saying that there is no reliable solution that can work across platforms and devices that I am aware of.

As for receiving stats each time you login, it would mean you'd have to somehow logout first.  Which either means some kind of timeout or leaving a window open with a logout button (which I don't consider reliable, i.e. if user closes browser), or they have to visit/bookmark a page to logout.  And it probably wouldn't work so well for mobile devices.  Still, if you can tell me more about the system, I'd be very interested.

I appreciate the discussion, as I can see this is a really desirable feature.  I'll continue to think about it.  In the meantime, if you (or anyone else) has ideas about how it could or should work, I'll be keen to hear them.

Skagerrak Developer
reinhard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:56 pm »

This usage indicator becomes a really urgent matter. W had two incidents this week where guests refused to pay the extra usage because there was no warning. One of them, a guest from OZ abused my staff, this is a standard and he didn't expect NZ to be such a third world country.

Regards

Reinhard

Richard Warburton
Administrator

Skagerrak Developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 03:42:28 am »

What you are asking for, as far as I am aware is not possible on users' machines.  If you know of anyone doing what you are suggesting, please tell me.  It is possible with Kiosks as those machines have special software installed (with specially configured browsers) to be able to alert users.  But since these are unknown user devices, where we have no control over them, with their own security, it's just not possible.

In your case, I suggest you sell vouchers, which are prepaid units of internet with no surprises.  Alternatively, set the max limits lower so they get cut off before they can generate a large bill.

TM4, (soon to be released to testers,) will allow users to monitor their usage by way of a webpage, and not let users go beyond their allocation, but no further.

Cheers.

Skagerrak Developer
reinhard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:33:44 am »

The ones producing large bills are usually not the problem. The Australian this week had to pay 2.40 which we waived anyway.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: